RMAN performance when using UNC paths

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:54:09 +0200

Hi all,

It is not advisable to take RMAN backups through the network on Windows. However this is the solution we have to deal with for one of our customers.
All backups take about 10 times longer than they should (taking the backup to a local disk and then transfering the backup pieces on the UNC path is 10 times quicker, this matches the maximum bandwidth of the link).

Oracle support just answered that it was a Windows issue and that they could not help.
I've read a few posts about similar problems on the net, but none were answered.

Any idea?

That's Oracle 9.2.0.5.0 on Windows 2000, latest OS patches.

The backups are taken through this automatic channel: CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '\\remote_host\e$\Oracle\Backup\%d\%d_%u_%p_%c';

If the problem can not be corrected, can you give me ideas for other solutions? The goal is to take backups on the disks of a remote server. The server hosting the database does not have the disk capacity to temporarily hold the backup pieces (which we could have transfered through the UNC path and its good performance with OS commands).

Regards,
Jerome Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 03:54:09 CDT