Re: RMAN performance when using UNC paths

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:42:28 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:55:52 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Idea 1: It is not going to work, EVER, as Oracle doesn't support UNC
> Idea 2: If you manage to back the database up, you probably will have
> a hard time restoring it (This happened to me recently, using nfs, at
> a customer equally 'smart' as your customer)
> Idea 3: Disk is cheap
> Idea 4: Disk is cheap
> Idea 5: Disk is cheap
> Idea 6: Did I say disk is cheap? Your attempts to get it working are
> probably going to cost more than buying a disk.

Thanks for your answer Sybrand.

I agree with you. But the problem with taking local backups is that afterwards they have to be sent to the server to which the tape drives are attached (there is no tape SAN at this customer's site, and no tape drives will be attached to each DB server.)
So taking local backups means transfering them to the "backup" server, thus implying some critical code writing to make sure the backup pieces are correctly transfered; it might also complicate the mechanism that ensures that these steps are correctly scheduled: RMAN bkp -> Net transfer -> Bkp to tapes -> Bkp deletion from bkp svr

                         -> Bkp deletion from DB svr