Re: log_buffer sizing

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 01:55:29 GMT

On Sat, 27 May 2006 02:14:10 -0700, sushil wrote:

> Is there any calculation as such for sizing a log buffer
> parameter?Howdo i know the optimal value of log_buffer parameter for my
> database.I am getting average redo log write times very high wil log
> file sync waits.

There is no general calculation. For the specifics, see Oracle Wait Interface, Practical Guide to Diag. & Tuning by Richmond Shee, Kirti Deshpande and K. Gopalakrishnan, on pages 198 - 205. They even mention changes in this mechanism for Oracle 10 and redo log parallelism. I am not as good story teller as Kirti or Gopal, so I must insist on reading the book. My conclusion is that it seldom makes sense to increase log buffer over 5M, but there may be exceptions, as dictated by the waits for log buffer space. The book was published by Oracle Press in 2004. I can only wholeheartedly recommend it.

--
http://www.mgogala.com