Db independent solution to importing data

From: <timasmith_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2006 12:45:42 -0700

Hi,

For product demos to get users up and running quickly I need a database and content.

While databases such as Oracle have great uilities like import/export to ship 'start/vendor supplied reference data' I would like to ship something suitable for several databases - Oracle, mySQL, hSql, etc.

I dont have a problem writing the sql schema scripts - most of the differences from one database to another are not huge to change.

But the content seems problematic - regardless of the db vendor - while I *could* use general insert statements (ugh) - that falls down quickly with 2000 character fields or binary data.

Do I truly need to write my own stand alone application (perhaps Java + propreitary binary files) to import the reference data or is there another way?

thanks

Tim Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 14:45:42 CDT