Re: Db independent solution to importing data

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:42:06 -0700

<timasmith_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1147895142.398214.254280_at_u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> For product demos to get users up and running quickly I need a database
> and content.
>
> While databases such as Oracle have great uilities like import/export
> to ship 'start/vendor supplied reference data' I would like to ship
> something suitable for several databases - Oracle, mySQL, hSql, etc.
>
> I dont have a problem writing the sql schema scripts - most of the
> differences from one database to another are not huge to change.
>
> But the content seems problematic - regardless of the db vendor - while
> I *could* use general insert statements (ugh) - that falls down quickly
> with 2000 character fields or binary data.
>
> Do I truly need to write my own stand alone application (perhaps Java +
> propreitary binary files) to import the reference data or is there
> another way?
>
> thanks
>
> Tim

I don't know about mySQL etc. but don't each of those have an export and import utility? If they do then just do 3 exports, 1 from each db. Then ship them and let the customer import with the proper utility. It should take a lot shorter than writing something. (and making that thing perform well etc.) You have to test agaainst all those databases anyway.(so you should have them in house)
Jim Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 19:42:06 CDT