Re: Oracle 9i - Putty - tnsping works - connection does not!

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 May 2006 10:39:39 -0700

>On Sat, 06 May 2006 20:09:35 -0700, davidhbigelow wrote:
>> The remote machine is setup as follows:
>> Listener IS RUNNING:
>> Port 1521
>
>> Local Machine:
>> hosts file --> 127.0.0.1 <remotemachinename>
>

>Now this is sneaky! I would never have thought of this. I was under the
>impression that 127.0.0.1 is always local host, never "remote machine"

Well, under certain circumstances it can be "remote machine", SSH tunneling OP tries to use is one bold example.

>> Putty Configuration:
>> Listen: 1500

> What is "Putty" listetning to?

To your connections on local TCP port 1500, so that you make a connection to localhost:1500 and PuTTY tunnels it to configured remote host and port, encrypting and compressing it on the way, and tunnels back remote's responses.

>> Pass to: <remotemachineIPaddress>:1521
>

>What is that? Get yourself a DBA who knows basic networking and have him
>configure your PC. your configuration is so mixed up that it cannot
>possibly work.

It's not really messed up and it can work just fine - I routinely use SSH tunneling in similar way to communicate to remote applications and databases securely, however there is probably something wrong on remote side in OPs' case. Without knowing more about remote host config it's hard to tell exactly what is wrong though... If it's Windows, I probably know what's wrong, but if it's something else then more meditation is required to see the truth, maybe even some woodoo and dances with tambourine around the hardware... :)

Regards,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Sun May 07 2006 - 12:39:39 CDT