Re: ASM diskmanagement and AIX 5.3

From: <erikw_nl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 May 2006 01:56:39 -0700

Hi,

The idea of creating a small partition is a very smart one on Unixes where this is possible, System V variants can do that. On AIX however, partitions can, to my knowledge, only be created using the Volume Manager. If a partition (called logical volume on AIX) is offered to ASM, ASM refuses this devices because it is part of a volume group.

So this strategy does not work on AIX. We now want offer complete /dev/hdisk devices to ASM, but will remove them from /dev, and recreate these device nodes in another directory, so that standard AIX utilities can not damage the database when an error is made by the AIX admin. The ASM search-string is changed according to the new location and names of the devices. Received on Tue May 02 2006 - 03:56:39 CDT