what sort of dba can you get for 100K nowdays

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:30:34 -0400

I interviewed a few of interestig people with 5-10 years as Oracle DBA in the past few days over the phone.

You'd expect most DBAs to realize that (besides CPU) the most common bottleneck in any database is IO.

None knew their current file system block size (but few knew oracle's block should be a 'multiple' of file system block) Most could not really elaborate on relationship db_file_multiblock_read_count and their RAIDs and OS None could really talk about file system options (asynch and/or directio), even though most worked on different platforms None were actually using the 10g disk management, in which case they could probably care less about everything above. (one guy actually told me he recommended buying a bigger disk array when they had 'io issues')

Additionally, most couldn't really tell me much about latches.. and one of the guys didn't even know the difference between latches and locks.

More than half couldn't really tell me much about what they'd be looking for in statspack (some never even used it).

Is it too much to ask for 100K salary? I don't consider myself an oracle genius, nor do I don't mean to 'bash' the people I interviewed, but would these not be the basics for even a Jr. DBA? is 100K not even a Jr. DBA salary anymore (the position is in NYC).

Granted, the pool of resumes I got seemed to not have a single DBA coming from a 'high usage' environment, so most probably never needed to tune too much.. but, imho, these are still fairly basic things everyone should know..

We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
we are currently looking for a DBA
remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 16:30:34 CDT