Re: what sort of dba can you get for 100K nowdays

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:21:41 -0500

On 2006-04-27, NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> I interviewed a few of interestig people with 5-10 years as Oracle DBA
> in the past few days over the phone.
>
> You'd expect most DBAs to realize that (besides CPU) the most common
> bottleneck in any database is IO.
>
> None knew their current file system block size (but few knew oracle's
> block should be a 'multiple' of file system block)
> Most could not really elaborate on relationship
> db_file_multiblock_read_count and their RAIDs and OS
> None could really talk about file system options (asynch and/or
> directio), even though most worked on different platforms
> None were actually using the 10g disk management, in which case they
> could probably care less about everything above. (one guy actually
> told me he recommended buying a bigger disk array when they had 'io
> issues')
>
> Additionally, most couldn't really tell me much about latches.. and
> one of the guys didn't even know the difference between latches and
> locks.
>
> More than half couldn't really tell me much about what they'd be
> looking for in statspack (some never even used it).
>
> Is it too much to ask for 100K salary? I don't consider myself an
> oracle genius, nor do I don't mean to 'bash' the people I interviewed,
> but would these not be the basics for even a Jr. DBA? is 100K not even
> a Jr. DBA salary anymore (the position is in NYC).

        Do you really expect someone with talent and experience to put up with a mere 100K in NYC given the cost of living up there? They could live nearly anywhere else, live like a king and still have loads of money to sock away for early retirement. They wouldn't even have to make 100K to do it either.

        100K - 150K is not unheard of for Oracle DBA's in places where real estate can be had for $90/sqft.

[deletia]

        100K is like less than 3 cpus worth of Oracle EE.

--

	Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
	is genuinely new: culture, like science and              |||

				 Judge Alex Kozinski
				 US Court of Appeals
				 9th Circuit

                http://www.usenet.com