Re: Misterious Oracle Error...

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:07:25 GMT

> ORA-20001: Fail UPDATE doss2_si_campaigns campaign_id 155

The above error is generated by the application. It is not a "true" Oracle error. Error codes in the range 20001 to 20199 are reserved for use by the application. You'll want to refer this to the application developer or vendor.

 > ORA-02049: timeout: distributed
> transaction waiting for lock

This could very well be the cause of the failed update referenced in the ORA-20001 error. You apparently have a distributed transaction that has timed out waiting for a lock. It could be that the remote database is not releasing this lock in sufficient time. You can increase the time your transaction will wait for the distributed lock by increasing the DISTRIBUTED_LOCK_TIMEOUT initialization parameter. But this may just be a band aid masking a bigger problem. You'll have to see who is holding the lock for a lengthy time on the remote system.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net