Re: Backup en Caliente

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:52:34 GMT

> My idea was try to recover complete databae without using redo.log
> files or arcxx.log files.

Please, please, please go through the docs. A complete recovery from a hot backup will use the archived redo log files and the online redo log files as well. A complete recovery from a cold backup does not, however, you have lost information since the cold backup was taken. All of this is spelled out in the docs.

> I'll multiplex the redo.log files.
> A last question: Is it possible to make a copy of redo.log files
> without stopping database?.

Why would you want to copy the online redo logs with the database open? I'm going to reiterate my plea..."Please, please, please go through the docs." There should not be any need to copy the online redo logs of an open database. Additionally, there is no mechanism to ensure your copy is read consistent or can be made read consistent. Some would even go so far as to say that you don't need to copy the online redo logs for a cold backup either. Please read the docs so that you can gain a better understanding of these concepts.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net