Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:41:27 -0800

JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>Forget? Hardly. It is just that in a group named c.d.o.server the
>>Oracle licenses were obvious. But as long as you think I'm involved
>>in marketing here I'll not disappoint you ... Oracle RAC licenses
>>are a small fraction of the cost of failover hardware.

> Except that any hardware that is going to be comparable
> in price to a realistic cost of Oracle on 20 cpus is going to
> have the HA and scaling features already built into it. That
> kind of hardware is already effectively it's own cluster.

I asked a day or so ago whether you were ignorant or just didn't like RAC: You just answered the question.

The entire point of RAC is to NOT to buy hardware with HA features. You have entirely missed the point of RAC. Not just by a few inches but by a few tens of kilometers.

RAC is not about dual power supplies and such. It is about low cost hardware. If something goes wrong you want the server to fall over. The other nodes in the cluster, load balanced, pick up the processing. A typical 2 CPU node for a RAC cluster is less than $5000 USD. If you are spending more than that you need to go find your Oracle salesperson and check into a re-education camp.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org