Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:18:17 -0600

On 2006-03-01, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> You're welcome.
>
>> It wouldn't hurt your reputation to not forget about 2/3 of the price of
>> the _system_ especially when you accuse me of doing marketing.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Serge
>
> Forget? Hardly. It is just that in a group named c.d.o.server the
> Oracle licenses were obvious. But as long as you think I'm involved
> in marketing here I'll not disappoint you ... Oracle RAC licenses
> are a small fraction of the cost of failover hardware.

        Except that any hardware that is going to be comparable in price to a realistic cost of Oracle on 20 cpus is going to have the HA and scaling features already built into it. That kind of hardware is already effectively it's own cluster.

--
	OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop.      |||
				                               / | \

                http://www.usenet.com