QUESTION: Install frustration on Windows

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2006 15:21:48 -0800

Hi, all.

I'm setting up an 8i server on Win2K Sp4. It is intended to replicate a current environment for use over a different network topology.

I installed the product, and then attempted to apply 8.1.7.4. THAT exercise was frustrating, in that the installer for the patchset just would not launch until I went in and renamed a dll file ("SYMCJIT.DLL"). Some kind of bug, apparently. Thankfully, I got that question answered in this group yesterday.

Anyway. Got the patch in, according to the OUI. After that, no end of problems - I made an init file, ran oradim, saw the service get created and come up, set my SID, but got no instance I could log into. I decided to take the product out completely and attempt a full reinstall.

And that leads me to now.

The Net8 Config assistant has been sitting here spinning its wheels for about half an hour now. CPU is at 27%. One instance of jrew.exe is sitting at 25% consistently, and a second instance of jrew is spawned and removed every second or so. I see this in Task Manager.

I ran Filemon, to trace what files are being accessed by what processes, and all I see is this sequence of 4 access traces, repeated every second:

TIME:		3:01:07 PM
PROCESS:	jrew.exe:2588
REQUEST:	CREATE
PATH:		D:\Install\Oracle 8i Enterprise Ed CD\stage\locks\reader39.lock
RESULT:		SUCCESS
OTHER:		Options: OverwriteIf  Access: All

TIME:		3:01:07 PM
PROCESS:	jrew.exe:2588
REQUEST:	CLOSE
PATH:		D:\Install\Oracle 8i Enterprise Ed CD\stage\locks\reader39.lock
RESULT:		SUCCESS

OTHER:
TIME:		3:01:07 PM
PROCESS:	dbsnmp.exe:2884
REQUEST:	READ
PATH:		D:\oracle\ora81\network\agent\job.q
RESULT:		SUCCESS	Offset: 0 Length: 4096

OTHER:
TIME:		3:01:07 PM
PROCESS:	dbsnmp.exe:2884
REQUEST:	READ
PATH:		D:\oracle\ora81\network\agent\job.q
RESULT:		SUCCESS	Offset: 0 Length: 4096

OTHER No change in this Filemon log for the past 20 minutes.

What the heck is going on ??? Clearly something's up with my Java Runtime. I can't get version information off the .exe file, but every occurence of this file in the Oracle installer subdirectory suggests a version of 1.1.7.30.

Can I go grab a 'new' JRE, install it to the server, and use that? Is my server just 'unstable'? I know that's a stupid question, but... I tell ya - I've been a Windows guy for 10 years, and I'm starting to REAALY prefer UNIX for server stuff.

BLECH!! Thanks for all wisdom/support. ;)

BD Received on Wed Mar 01 2006 - 17:21:48 CST