Re: Oracle licence question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:45:39 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:
> Tony Rogerson wrote:
>

>> Secure Application Roles are not included with Oracle Standard, but
>> the equiv is with SQL Server Standard

> Where is the doc citation for MS's equivalent of secure application roles ?
>
>> Data Encryption is included with SQL Server Standard, it isn't in
>> Oracle Standard

> Data Encryption is in all editions of Oracle. It's just the transparent
> data encryption that isn't. SQL Server does not have transparent data
> encryption
>
>> Advanced Security is not included with Oracle Standard, nor is Label
>> Security - again, all can be achieved in SQL Server standard.

> You cannot do Label Security (or build a virtual private database) with
> SQL Server.
>
>> No messaging

> Messaging is in all editions of Oracle Database
>
>> There is a lot more missing too.
>>
>> So your statement above is just completely wrong and mis-leading.

> Pot. Kettle. Black
>

>> And then rant you make about the salaries, if you've really been in IT
>> for 36 years then you'll have a better understanding of the market
>> place and realise people swap platforms, take me; 5 yrs DB2, 6 months
>> Oracle and 13 years SQL Server and out of those 3 Oracle was quite
>> definitely the hardest to work with (Oracle 7 i think it was).
>>

> I am seriously starting to believe that any difficulty you may have had
> with Oracle was more releated to an ability to understand what was
> written in the docs. I will be magnanimous and assume that this was
> purely the fault of the docs, for which I apologize.

His inability is that he is a paid troll. He started out in DB2 and then became a part of the Borg. Now he is just a bloody chav doing Microsoft's bidding. The point, for him like with an attorney, is to be an advocate. Acknowleding facts just gets in the way (witness his off-target comments on Sarbanes Oxley of which he obviously knows precisely nothing).

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org