Re: Oracle licence question

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 27 Feb 2006 03:44:51 -0800

HansF wrote:
> IN general, Oracle Standard Edition will compete price- and feature- wise
> with SQL Server Enterprise Edition. There are exceptions, but often
> management (and the technical 'experts' who advise them - usually
> Microsoft bigots) do their 'fair evaluation' on the name of the product
> rather than the capabilities.

Sorry to shot in my own ranks, but you are simply not right. The Oracle Standard Edition is no match for SQL Server Enteprise Edition, it fact it is almost useless product. The reason for it are not its technical parameters, but the licencing contraints. Small quote from Oracle's minimums definitions:

So basically if you buy as a hardware anything above maximum capacity 2 CPUs (most CPUs on today market are dualcores) you have to buy extremely expensive Enteprise Edition even if you do not need even single of its features.

This is insanely limiting. It is very hard even to find a server on a market that is not extendible beyond two dualcores processor. Because of this using of Oracle for everything except of high end application (that justifies EE) is a financial nonsense.

--
Dusan Bolek