Re: Fresher DBA!!!

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:26:28 GMT

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> writes:
> Dilbur wrote:
>>I had been campus recruited by IBM Global Services and after only one
>>month training I am working as a DB2 DBA on client side for past two
>>months.
>
> I'll remember this next time someone tries to sell me IBM Global
> Services.

This is pretty standard; I have seen PWC consultants flown in that were equally green...

In a big project, there's always *some* attempt at some "featherbedding" of this sort, and, with a big project, you can't necessarily expect to be able to cherry-pick their best consultants. The only way they can *eventually* provide experienced people is by starting them green...

>>I dont see many oppurtunities building for me in future since a DBA
>>without prior knowledge of SQL and PLSQL is useless.
>
> Does DB2 really use PLSQL?

PL/SQL is usually considered to be the proprietary Oracle stored procedure language. DB2 doesn't support that.

It supports a stored procedure language that corresponds pretty much with the SQL:1999 standard.

>>shall I go for a project change at this point of time!!!
>
> Stick it out for a couple of years, unless you are getting negative
> feedback, or if there is something else you'd rather be doing.

Indeed, there are things worth learning...

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html