Re: Python vs. PL/SQL for Oracle work

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:11:54 GMT

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:50:30 -0800, dananrg wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> What if the business requirement was not performance, but code
> portability between RDBMSes? If the underlying RDBMS might change, and
> I had to assume so, wouldn't it make sense to use a language like
> Python and a generic ODBC Python module if one exists? Different
> question than my original post, I know.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

While there are semi-legit reasons (often meaningless justifications) ...

Portability is a pipe dream.

In EVERY instance of portability*, there is a compromise that results in:

- reduced performance
- most common denomiator (lowest level of functionality) coding
- refusal to use capabilities of the environment
- duplication of environment capabilities
- increased maintenance cost

Why, oh why, pay $x to buy a piece of software and then insist on paying someone else to write the capabilities of that software into a 'front end' for the sake of 'being neutral'?

It is at the same level of thought process as:

"I want to buy a car. The model I am about to buy has electric windows, seat heater, radio and CD changer.

Because I may want to switch to another car that does not have these features, I will not allow anyone to use the electric windows, seat heaters or entertainment unit."

Totally irrational, is it not?

Better to buy in to the product, eliminate the maintenance, record that elimination as a cost savings, use the cost savings to switch platforms in 3 years time.

Except that few, other than the brightest ones, have learned to include the exit strategy in the overall project plan. And, unless one has an exit strategy, the future cost and overall benefit is forgotten.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com