Re: Free Oracle Server for intranet?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 03:10:54 GMT

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:03:51 -0800, shumaker wrote:

> Our department is loosing access to MS Server 2000. I am looking into
> different possibilities of replacements, Oracle being one. I know
> Oracle is available for free, but I'm not clear what the limitations of
> it are, and that's what I need clarified for me please.

The package is called Oracle Database 10g Express Edition. It is fully free to deploy in production, intranet or extranet, contains the entire Oracle SQL core that is common to the Oracle Database 10g line.

High level summary of the limitations:

  1. Single CPU will be used (even on multi-CPU machines);
  2. Max 1GB RAM will be used;
  3. Max 4GB user data space;
  4. No built-in JVM and therefore no Java-based stored procedures;
  5. No 'Enterprise Edition' options or EE-only features;

A more comprehensive list is in the online 'Licensing Information' docco at http://www.oracle.com/pls/xe102/homepage

Note that is is currently considered beta, while Oracle irons out the install issues. I don't think the actual engine will change in any significant way, other than to include patches available at release.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com