Re: Free Oracle Server for intranet?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:11:33 -0500

<shumaker_at_cs.fsu.edu> wrote in message
: Our department is loosing access to MS Server 2000. I am looking into
: different possibilities of replacements, Oracle being one. I know
: Oracle is available for free, but I'm not clear what the limitations of
: it are, and that's what I need clarified for me please.
:
: It would reside in an intranet environment on a single processor
: machine with about 2-10 people accessing it at a given time. We would
: also need some sort of replacement for our DTS packages. I'm not sure
: of what kind of equivalent feature is available on Oracle. The DTS
: packages basically import CSV files and run several queries in a row
: before and after the CSV import, and perform some scripted
: transformations when importing the data.
:
: Thanks in advance!
:

Application Express (HTML DB) with OracleXE will do exactly what you're looking for, but you'll need to do just a little development to replicate the DTS functionality -- doesn't sound like it would be too difficult, though. and it looks like FSU offers a bunch of Oracle courses, so you must have a PL/SQL programmer lurking around there somewhere to help you do that ;-) [ although i see one of the tutorials is for installing Oracle Developer on Windows98 :-( ]

anyway, you need to look at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

++ mcs Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 20:11:33 CST