Re: Q:versioning of DB 10g

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 05:46:20 -0500

"Verner Jensen, Ålborg" <knold_at_x.dk> wrote in message news:JdYEf.2896$5G1.1323_at_news.get2net.dk...
> Howdy!
>
> Is there a kind of versioning mechanism in 10g?
>
> In short:
> In my company we often develop different features, which collide with each
> in the developement fase. Due to technical factors it's not possible to
> have more than one DB/instance/user - running at a time.
>
> I did think on "virtual database" - setup - but that require different
> users - doesn't it?
>
> All comments welcome,
> Rgds, Henrik

there are a number of features that could apply, depending on what you mean by versioning

workspace manager can actually manage (with not insignificant overhead) multiple versions of the the same table (or sets of tables) and data in the same schema for different users, with version rollback capability. i believe this is targeted for use in forecasting scenarios.

software configuration manager is targeted to manage different application versions

database triggers can help manage multiple developers in the same schema -- including the staging schema (as noted, each developer in a different schema is recommended)

and oracleXE provides an easy and inexpensive (i.e., free) way for each developer to have their own database -- as long as they have a normal workstation, they would have sufficent hw resources to deploye it

If interested in source versioning, I would not recommend VSS -- very limited functionality, you may be better off looking into CVS (gnu licensed version control program)

++ mcs Received on Sat Feb 04 2006 - 04:46:20 CST