Re: missing oratab

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:05:15 GMT

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:23:02 +0100, Michel Cadot wrote:

> It is optional, oratab just lists all the instances you want or do not want to
> startup/shutdown with the standard Oracle startup/shutdown script.

I agree that the existence is optional in terms of using and running Oracle.

However, automatically creating during installation (it is created as part of the mandatory root.sh routine), and updating oratab during dbca is such a consistent behaviour in the Oracle installation that I would be very concerned that it is not around.

To OP - please verify that your installation was clean and thet the root.sh was run. One way is to look at the permissions for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle - is it setuid/setgid?

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com