Re: PROBLEM: Cannot rebuild index!!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:10:04 +0100

On 30 Dec 2005 12:05:06 -0800, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>We drop indexes, then do the inserts from the remote db, and re-enable
>the indexes. It's entirely possible that the source db has made some
>changes to how they index their tables.

Strange procedure. The very reason for the ALTER INDEX REBUILD command was to make procedures like this, coming from the DARK pre 7.3 ages, when DBAs got no sleep, as they had to reindex from home, obsolete/ Also by dropping the index you are dropping RI. Couldn't you just set the constraint to novalidate,prior to the load, and enable validate exceptions into .... ? Then you would have prevented all this fuss.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA