Re: Could Veritas's checkpoint(for Oracle) to be a CLONE DB?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Dec 2005 17:06:04 -0800

dominica_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Let me try to phase my question better.
>
> My goal is to do this:
>
> I use Veritas's storage foundation to do checkpoint on Oracle(online
> checkpoint.
> Almost like doing snapshot in NetApp).

I am not familiar with NetApp but this is a pretty common technique with EMC based DASD and sure probably NetApp works similarly.

Lots of people do "split mirror" backups via rman or other (manual based) techniques.

You need a DASD set that when you do the "split" or checkpoint or whatever that takes effect at the time on all the DASD volumes simultaneously.

On EMC this is known as an instant split.

You can probably put the tablespaces into backup mode and then do the "split" or checkpoint and as your system admin suggested mount and bring up oracle on a different host.

Your veritas support person should be able to supply a white paper or more doc.

> But my co-worker (system admin) is suggesting that we use the
> checkpoint of Veritas on Oracle and mount that filesystem(the one
> created by
> checkpoint) to a different host
> (not the production host that I make my checkpoint from) and open those
> oracle datafiles to be the test oracle instance and then use it for
> "testing" purpose(for QA people).
>
> I am trying to look for white paper from Veritas 's site.
> I could not find it.

Please see above.

> Anyone out there is using Veritas's checkpoint...??

Not working at a Veritas site anymore.

> Hardware: I am using 64 bit solaris 5.9 , Oracle 8.1.7.4 32 bit.

You software is a little on the aged side but still this type of technique can be viable if properly researched, documented, and tested.