Performance problem

From: Tony <trindata_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 05:06:07 -0500

After devoting a great deal of effort to tune a particular batch process some physical changes were made to our environment. The result is that our batch job now takes twice the amount of time to execute (7 hours instead of 3.5!)..

The changes made were as follows:

  1.. 1 GB Nics were replaced by 100 MB cards
  2.. 15k rpm smaller drives were replaced by larger 10k rpm drives
  3.. Disk layouts were changed to make use of the larger drives
Other than that, the application has not been changed. The operating system and Oracle release have not been upgraded either. I am trying to make a case for returning the environment to its previous state (Nics and drive speed) while collecting information using in-house tools such as Statspack, TKPROF etc. In the absence of detailed analysis of the previous runs (3.5 hours) what can I use to highlight the negative impact of the changes made to our environment? Received on Tue Dec 06 2005 - 04:06:07 CST