Re: Performance problem

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:55:27 +0000

"Tony" <trindata_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

> After devoting a great deal of effort to tune a particular batch process
> some physical changes were made to our environment. The result is that our
> batch job now takes twice the amount of time to execute (7 hours instead of
> 3.5!)..

> The changes made were as follows:

> 1.. 1 GB Nics were replaced by 100 MB cards

Does the batch process take data from one machine and pull it onto the one that had the network cards changed?

Change them back and see does this have any effect.

What exactly happens during this "batch process"?

> 2.. 15k rpm smaller drives were replaced by larger 10k rpm drives

Hmm.... no surprise at a slowdown there, particularly if the batch process does a lot of...er... processing.

Was the number of disks also changed? Do you use RAID? How do you distribute the redo log, data, OS and control files? Before/After?

> 3.. Disk layouts were changed to make use of the larger drives

See above. Did some bright spark say something like "It'll be much easier to manage if we put everything onto one disk"?

> Other than that, the application has not been changed. The operating system
> and Oracle release have not been upgraded either. I am trying to make a
> case for returning the environment to its previous state (Nics and drive
> speed) while collecting information using in-house tools such as Statspack,
> TKPROF etc. In the absence of detailed analysis of the previous runs (3.5
> hours) what can I use to highlight the negative impact of the changes made
> to our environment?

Tell management that the process took 3.5 hours before the changes and that now it takes 7?

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.