Re: Hardware Replication vs DataGuard

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 5 Dec 2005 22:35:31 -0800

Rodrick Brown wrote:
> Well given the fact that the storage infrastructure between datacenters are
> already in place (paid for) and dataguard is free i'm looking for a answer
> based on the technology options only.

In that case I would strongly recommend using of SRDF. It is:

  1. much more stable and reliable
  2. transparent from database point of view
  3. administration is way more easier
  4. even with its bigger data flow, because SRDF is using dedicated SAN infrastructure, it is usually easier than managing lower data flow from DG, but running through problematic Ethernet LANs/WANs
  5. the entire architecture is less complex

The only two advantages of Data Guard are possibility to use Standby in read only mode and the investment costs of SRDF variant.

--
Dusan Bolek