Re: informix market share

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:39:15 -0500

Mark Townsend wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Seems to me that some of your fellow Informix folks here have been
>> reporting their licenses costing them multiples of the Oracle price.
>>

> This is what I could never get my head around with the way IBM went
> forward with Informix.
>
> For a billion dollars they got a database that had a great set of
> features (much more than DB2), measurable market share, an extremely
> loyal customer base eager for a white knight (no pun intended), a
> reasonably good partner base, and a dedicated sales force who could
> actually make real money from selling a great product with a good price
> point ......
>

> ..... and they walked away from it, prefering instead to use a
> non-dedicated sales force to push an inferior product by discounting
> and/or bundling heavily.

Nice spin doctoring. Informix was going down fast before IBM stepped in. Also I strongly disagree with DB2 being inferior. Both products have different strengths. DB2 for LUW is a multi-purpose DBMS, handling both BI and OLTP reasonably well; IDS is a superb OLTP engine but without OLAP, materialized views, scale out, powerful, orthogonal SQL, ... . While Informix was investing into Illustra and a multi-threaded engine, IBM executed on "Arrowhead" and implemented the most powerful SQL query capabilities in the industry with the Starburst compiler. Also DB2 had a fair set of GUI tooling and client integration which IDS was missing when IBM purchased Informix. Different trajectory. Can't say a car is inferior/superior to a motorcycle. Doesn't work that way.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau