Re: informix market share

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:27:40 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:

> Seems to me that some of your fellow Informix folks here have been
> reporting their licenses costing them multiples of the Oracle price.

This is what I could never get my head around with the way IBM went forward with Informix.

For a billion dollars they got a database that had a great set of features (much more than DB2), measurable market share, an extremely loyal customer base eager for a white knight (no pun intended), a reasonably good partner base, and a dedicated sales force who could actually make real money from selling a great product with a good price point ......

..... and they walked away from it, prefering instead to use a non-dedicated sales force to push an inferior product by discounting and/or bundling heavily.

It's not really a marketing problem. Marketing is just there to support the sales engine.

If the troops in the accounts aren't pushing the product, then nothing is going to happen.

My preception is that this applies for both Informix and DB2 at IBM - the former because they just ignored it (or weren't even told about it), the second because there's a preception by the sales force of no money because of the discount/bundling deals, so why even get into the fight.

Such a waste. They should fire someone. If they haven't already retired. Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 11:27:40 CST