Re: Cheap FC arrays? (was Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?)

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:37:59 -0600

On 2005-11-22, Heikki Siltala <abcwebmasterxyz_at_abcheikkisiltalaxyz.abccomxyz> wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>> Fibre channel SAN with 7TB of disk can be had for well under $12K USD.
>> The fabric switch for under $4K USD. Reconsider your choices.
>
> Yep, you are right.
>
> I have seen some interesting papers and read "resilient low-cost
> storage" papers for Oracle. Apple Xserve RAID seems to be the most
> cost-effective solution. It uses ATA disks and according to some tests

        What I hear from storage industry types is that SATA isn't quite yet ready for prime time yet. The drives aren't reliable enough and TCQ is either not there or not good enough.

[deletia]

        Although I would be interested to hear the experiences of those that have put SATA in production or under high load.

--
	The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
	if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / | \