Cheap FC arrays? (was Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?)

From: Heikki Siltala <abcwebmasterxyz_at_abcheikkisiltalaxyz.abccomxyz>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:12:16 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:
> Fibre channel SAN with 7TB of disk can be had for well under $12K USD.
> The fabric switch for under $4K USD. Reconsider your choices.

Yep, you are right.

I have seen some interesting papers and read "resilient low-cost storage" papers for Oracle. Apple Xserve RAID seems to be the most cost-effective solution. It uses ATA disks and according to some tests it can run 266 MB/s of read operations. And configuring it to JBOD, combining it with ASM S.A.M.E. and configuring the OS and HBAs to use 1 MB IO operations could be a killer solution. Since ASM would notice a disk failure and immediately rebalance the system to regain data redundancy we shouldn't need to worry too much about ATA disk having a lower MTBF than SCSI disks. I would still rather put redo logs on 2 GB solid state disks.

What comes to RAC is that I'm no longer sure if it will be justified to invest money into it. Hopefully someone writes a free clustering software for Oracle XE based on redo log shipping and log miner (mis)use. Even us without an unlimited budget could then build a true database grid. :-)

--
Heikki