Re: Need help creating a database

From: Eric de Redelijkheid <ericdere_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:27:31 +0100

Anno Domini 7-11-2005 20:57, Randy Harris sprak aldus:

>I'm trying to follow the 9i docs for "Manually Creating an Oracle Database".
>
>Step 1
> Select a SID, create ORACLE_SID env var
>Done
>
>Step 2
> Establish DBA authentication method
>I chose OS authentication - my user is a member of dba group
>
>Step 3
> Create the pfile
>Done
>
>Step 4
> Connect to the instance
>From docs:
>$ sqlplus /nolog
>connect sys/password as sysdba
>
>What password?
>
>connect / as sysdba gives me insufficient privelege error
>
>connect sys/ as sysdba prompts for a psssword
>
>How do I get past this?
>
>In step 6, it shows how to set the sys password when issuing the CREATE
>DATABASE command but I can't get to that point.

You mixed up both authentication methods, I guess. The OS authentication:

  1. make sure your environment is in order : ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID, PATH , etc
  2. create parameter file - set remote_login_passwordfile=none
  3. sqlplus "/ as sysdba" Connected to an idle instance
  4. sql> startup nomount
  5. sql> create database ...

The account SYS is not there until you have created the database. After you have created the database and logged in using "/ as sysdba" and type on the sql prompt 'show user', lo and behold: SYS

If you want to use the passwordfile:

  1. create the password file orapwd file=orapw<sid>.ora entries=n (a number) password=<password>
  2. set remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive
  3. sqlplus sys/<password you specified in the passwordfile> as sysdba Connected to an idle instance
  4. sql> startup nomount
  5. sql> create database

The password for SYS is obtained from the passwordfile. Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 15:27:31 CST