Re: imp - how to get a listing of an export file...?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:54:45 GMT

Eric Jenkinson wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2005 11:06:45 -0800, "Tommy" <tommynoble_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I've tried imp user/pass_at_alias file=<my exp file> show=YES, but it's
>>not giving me anything useful and it's taking ages to do it.
>>
>>I have yet to find any examples of using SHOW=YES nor have I been able
>>to get any useful results.  Am I missing something?
>>
>>Using Oracle 9i rel 2, patch set 4 (9.2.0.5)

[...]
> According to the docs the SHOW parameter can only be used with the
> FULL=Y, FROMUSER, TOUSER, or TABLES parameter. FULL defaults to N and
> FROMUSER, TOUSER and TABLES defaults to none. You might want to try
> changing your command to one of the following:
[...]

Better yet, the OP should tell us how he made the export (FULL=, TABLES=, etc.), and then what results he got from the import, whether or not he thought they were "useful". (Perhaps the normal output of SHOW simply isn't what he expected).

With the SHOW option, it still takes time to read through all the rows of data in the export file, even though they are not imported or listed, so if you have large tables, that could account for the "taking ages" aspect.

The following sequence works fine:

exp user/pass_at_connect file=x.dmp
imp user/pass_at_connect file=x.dmp show=y

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 13:54:45 CST