Re: I want to add to myknowledge

From: Monty <mmontreaux_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 11:54:50 -0800

> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

Comments inline.

> Spelt, n; a species of wheat. Who but a fool would
> use a noun as a misspelled verb in a sentence? Oh, that
> would be Godfrey... commenting upon a single typographic
> error for the express purpose of feigned superiority:
>
> "note that "distresing" is a species of wheat
> "distressing". Fool."

I do not know what you are on about David.

In the UK the word "spelt" is perfectly valid and commonly used in the context "Godfrey" used it. In Australia it is perfectly valid in the context used too. And "spelt" & "spelled" are grouped together in the Oxford English dictionary with the note "British common usage". I'm not going to pick a selective URL to back up my claims - look it up. Just maybe "Godfrey" is British. Regardless, trading personal insults in this public newsgroup isn't what it is supposed to be about is it?

While I do not condone the way that "Godfrey" has gone about his exercise, I do quietly like to see you, Sybrand, and Daniel challenged for the way you conduct yourselves. My advice to you is if you can help someone by posting to this newsgroup, make a post. If you cannot, shut up. The vast majority of posters to this newsgroup don't suffer from flame wars like the three of you. Your problem and the way you are viewed are problems of your own making.

Regards
Monty Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 13:54:50 CST