Re: backup on a rack

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:27:16 GMT

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:02:36 +0200, pibru_at_tin.it interested us by writing:

> If I have a 10G rack with 2 node, is it right to backup instance (in
> archive log mode) in this way :
> hot backup of 2 instance
> backups of the 2 arhivelog.
> Is it possibile to backup only once the datafile and so backupping only
> 1 of the 2 instance ? (I think yes.... but I am not sure)
> Bye
> Pier Paolo

Do not back up the instance - only back up the database.

Sadly you have a mistake in your understanding of RAC becaause of confusion between database and instance.

Remember what is an instance - it is the CPU cycles and memory associated with accessing and managing a database. In a RAC installation, you have several instances but only one database.

Use RMAN.  Set it up to back up the database.  That can run using either
instance.  But remember to also back up the password file, the init file
(initxxx.ora or spfilexxx.ora) and the control files.

--
Hans Forbrich
Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com