Re: Can't find file with a *.ora extension

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 23 Oct 2005 06:37:44 -0700

Comments embedded.
Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> After getting some error message I googled and found the solution:

> alter tablespace system add datafile 'datafile1.ora'
> size 10m autoextend on next 1m maxsize 250m;

Which is a generic example to illustrate the command, not a bonafide, fully written example to use as-is.

> The above command fixed my problem, but now I am curious about that
> 'datafile1.ora' file. As typed above, the file ended up in
> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/. Isn't that an odd place for a data file?

Only if you consider it odd that Oracle puts datafiles there by default when no other location is specified. Since you did not inform Oracle this file was to be located in a specific directory the default location was used. I imagine had you read the example and accompanying text it would have explained that 'datafile.ora' should be replaced with a filename and location you're currently using in your database. Looking before one leaps is always a good thing, as you have, no doubt, discovered.

> Should I
> place it next time in a directory such as '/u01/oracle/oradata/...'?

That is entirely up to you. I would, were it me, as I am not in the habit of using Oracle's default locations for anything except the spfile and password file.

> Is the *.ora extension appropriate? Should I use the *.dbf extension
> instead?

Considering that the .ora extension is used for Oracle configuration files, not datafiles, it is not appropriate. The .dbf extension IS appropriate, and provides the indication the file in question is a dataflie.

> Thanks for sharing your insight in this matter.
>
> -Ramon F Herrera

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 08:37:44 CDT