Re: How to determine database market share?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:36:37 -0700

Paul wrote:

>>Your life must be exceedingly boring.

> Fuck you.

I'm impressed. Your command of the English language demonstrates a definite gift for expressing yourself with clarity.

>> Orcle has been producing
>>many products for more than a decade. Your ignorance is not Oracle's
>>lack of product offerings: You should not equate the two.

> Ok, Ok, I had neither the time nor the inclination to write that
> Oracle "was" primarliy a db company but not entirely but has in the
> last two years been acquiring other (service based - Siebel, whatever)
> companies like there's no tomorrow.

As I said above: Your statement wasn't true 10 years ago.

> Would it be fair to suggest that up until about 1-2 years ago Oracle
> was *_primarily_* a db company, but has now moved very much into the
> "added value" services sector of the market. Sorry about my sloppy
> wording, but one can't always write a novel in response to a newsgroup
> post.

No it would not.

>>Apparently you have never read a license agreement

> You're bang smack on the mark with that one. I just press install and
> let her rip...and never heard of a site license.

Obviously. So this is a good time to put on your thinking cap and see if there is another obscenity suitable for the occassion.

> Would you believe that I have?

No.

>> I would suggest that before you engage in a debate on
>>a topic you familiarize yourself with it.

> My point is/was that it is difficult to get any reasonable idea of the
> number of paid for installs ofa particular db server in a given
> (country, region, continent... whatever), because what one gets on a
> web site for a printed licence is not necessarily what customer x who
> is planning on 250 installs is going to pay - you would agree with
> that, I presume?

And you never will which is why your entire quest is worse than quixotic ... it is idiotic.

>>Is 1 $10,000 license for product A worth 1 $2,500 license for product
>>B? Is it worth 4X as much? What if one is a per user license and the
>>other a per CPU license? A site license? What is one system is connected
>>to users via client-server and the other to an application server
>>connected to the internet?

> Here you are merely echoing my points

I am not. You don't have a point. There is no way to determine market share because there is no definition of what "market share" is. If you define it and can get the metrics, you can't, then you can go into competition with Gartner and other scum.

>>My guess is that Amazon.com has one Oracle license agreement. My guess
>>is that eBay does too. Two licenses? What if part of the license cost
>>is an agreement to share services? Of what relevance is the license's
>>dollar cost?

> *_SWEET DIVINE JESUS_*. I know!!!!! See above for the issue about
> market share and revenue - I am attempting (in the face of (so-called)
> internet surveys, geek-speak, marketo-babble to determine a decent
> metric

Once again using very small words: You can not!

No doubt you have another obscenity loaded and ready to fire here too.

>>You might want to go back to watching American Idol.  ;-)

> What is American Idol?

An Oracle account.

>>Basically I've said what Billy said but with more words.

> See my response.

I did and I was so impressed I hid in my closet for 1/2 an hour trembling at the thought of crossing someone with such an impressive repetoire.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org