Re: How to determine database market share?

From: Paul <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:09:22 +0100

DA Morgan <> wrote:

> >>Your life must be exceedingly boring.

> > Fuck you.

> I'm impressed. Your command of the English language demonstrates
> a definite gift for expressing yourself with clarity.

What would you consider an appropriate response to your offering to the debate of "Your life must be exceedingly boring."?

I was asking what is a question of legitimate concern to people who are interested in databases generally, which surely must cover a good percentage of the readership of this group.

Your trite and childish response obtained the riposte it merited.

You may have noticed that *_in general_* and *_as a rule_* my posts to this group are not littered with expletives, and indeed in my reply I acknowledged your contribution to the group, indeed I was all the more disappointed that a "Your life must be exceedingly boring." response would come from *_YOU_* of all people, you who seem to spend a good deal of time answering (and helping) posters on the oracle groups.

I have never questioned your lifestyle habits and quite frankly, I don't give a flying fuck whether you spend all day every day (when you're not correcting students' exams) on this group or whether you dip in from time to time - that's for you to decide and your contribution to the group(s) are/will be measured on their merit.

Telling me that I don't have a life (or, sorry, a "boring" one) because I choose to ask a question of "you/the-group in general" is quite frankly insulting - I believe that it is I who am the person who was insulted first. I accept that my language was crude, and will apologise if you also apologise for your "boring life" remark.

> > Oracle "was" primarliy a db company but not entirely but has in the
> > last two years been acquiring other (service based - Siebel, whatever)
> > companies like there's no tomorrow.

> As I said above: Your statement wasn't true 10 years ago.

OK, so you're making an acutal point here - you seem to be saying that Oracle has been more than a db company for some time - i.e. ten years? When in your NSHO did Oracle move from being a db company to something else? In any case, how is it relevant to my core question which remains *_how many Oracle installations are there_* in area x, y or z, and how can a neutral observer *_try_* to determine how much of a market there is for Oracle's rivals, which was the thrust of my original question - or does that make my life boring again?

> > Would it be fair to suggest that up until about 1-2 years ago Oracle
> > was *_primarily_* a db company, but has now moved very much into the
> > "added value" services sector of the market. Sorry about my sloppy
> > wording, but one can't always write a novel in response to a newsgroup
> > post.

> No it would not.

OK, feel free to expand a wee bit on this succint response.

> > You're bang smack on the mark with that one. I just press install and
> > let her rip...and never heard of a site license.

> Obviously. So this is a good time to put on your thinking cap and
> see if there is another obscenity suitable for the occassion.

<Expletetive deleted...> - OK, how often do you actually bother to read the blurb that comes with practially any software these days?

There could be a licence out there which obliges my to surrender my first-born to use their programme - would I agree? Of course, because I wouldn't have read the damn thing in the first place. Come to actually enforcing the clause would be a different matter though...

> > Would you believe that I have?

> No.

Actually I pay far more attention to site/group licences than to individual ones - probably because in ignoring clauses in one-person licences I'm only implicating myself, whereas with a site licence, I'm acting for and on behalf of others, and would take more care.

> >> I would suggest that before you engage in a debate on
> >>a topic you familiarize yourself with it.

> > My point is/was that it is difficult to get any reasonable idea of the
> > number of paid for installs ofa particular db server in a given
> > (country, region, continent... whatever), because what one gets on a
> > web site for a printed licence is not necessarily what customer x who
> > is planning on 250 installs is going to pay - you would agree with
> > that, I presume?

> And you never will which is why your entire quest is worse than quixotic
> ... it is idiotic.

It is idiotic to try and determine some sort of rational metric (which I have suggested is best determined by job-ads) to determine db market share?

I fail to see why it is idiotic - difficult maybe, but certainly not idiotic. And certainly relevant to this group - all of us leading the boring lives that we do, as opposed to your thrilling one, hopping from Hawaii to Japan at the drop of a hat? The letters f and y spring to mind...

> >>Is 1 $10,000 license for product A worth 1 $2,500 license for product
> >>B? Is it worth 4X as much? What if one is a per user license and the
> >>other a per CPU license? A site license? What is one system is connected
> >>to users via client-server and the other to an application server
> >>connected to the internet?

> > Here you are merely echoing my points

> I am not. You don't have a point. There is no way to determine market
> share because there is no definition of what "market share" is. If you
> define it and can get the metrics, you can't, then you can go into
> competition with Gartner and other scum.

You are correct, definition of market share is at best tricky. I am suggesting that looking at job postings on groups for an area would be/might be a reasonable metric for determining market penetration.

> > *_SWEET DIVINE JESUS_*. I know!!!!! See above for the issue about
> > market share and revenue - I am attempting (in the face of (so-called)
> > internet surveys, geek-speak, marketo-babble to determine a decent
> > metric

> Once again using very small words: You can not!

You are saying that there is no way of doing this? OK, I'll go direct - why is not using job-postings for a given area not the best metric for db penetration in a given area? If you tell me it is not, then I would merely ask you for a better metric.

> No doubt you have another obscenity loaded and ready to fire here too.

You know full-well that my posts are not littered with expletives - otherwise I'm sure that I would have been kill-filed by you ages ago.

> >>You might want to go back to watching American Idol. ;-)

> > What is American Idol?

> An Oracle account.

? I googled. Some sort of Big Brother thing?

> >>Basically I've said what Billy said but with more words.

> > See my response.

> I did and I was so impressed I hid in my closet for 1/2 an hour
> trembling at the thought of crossing someone with such an impressive
> repetoire.

I understand that there are people in America called "therapists" (in Europe they're normally called friends - except you don't have to pay them) who might be able to help you with this. Best of luck.

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, (Enterprise Ed.)

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.