Re: Tale of woe - failed patch install and attempted recovery

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 14 Oct 2005 05:50:20 -0700

#EdStevens wrote:
#>

#> Well, now I really feel like an idiot (error: ID-10T) It was the
#> OracleInventory in $ORACLE_BASE, not $ORACLE_HOME that was causing
so
#> much mischief. And the solution could have been applied immediately
#> after the first failure of the patch installation. When the
Installer
#> listed all of the 9.2.0.6 components as installed, and greyed out on
#> the inventory list .. don't believe they are 'really' greyed out.
#> Click the plus sign and a good branch opens up to select for
#> re-installing the patch for that component. Slowly work thru the
#> entire list and it will happily re-install everything even though it
#> thinks it has alrady done it. I feel like a rank beginner again,
but
#> at least I've learned a lot in the process -- not just the specifics
of
#> this problem, but more general about how things are put together and
#> not believing every thing you think you see.

Anytime changes are made in the oracle software area ( we are hpux rac 9.2.06 looking at 9.2.0.7 with a move to 10.2 sometime in the future ) I make sure that the following things are backed up.

  1. The unix oracle home ( /home/oracle ).
  2. The oracle inventory ( usually in ORACLE_BASE for us /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory ... get the whole thing in ORACLE_BASE including the jre, oui, etc ).
    • Special note, you may want to backup opatch related files/scripts/executables also, opatch can be considered logically related to the oui stuff.
  3. The oracle software home(s) aka /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0
  4. /var/opt/oracle
  5. /etc/oratab
  6. Anything you care about in /usr/local/bin such as oraenv, etc. ( We do something different here and don't use that ).

My advice, make sure that backups for all these things are part of your plan. If you have bolixed up an install/maintenance action/whatever, if you are restoring one or more of these things, don't restore just part of this set of backups, restore all of them together or at least seriously look at each component and make an informed decision of why or why not each of them needs to be restored or not.

Of course, opening a tar with oracle is something every one in a similar situation should also consider. Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 07:50:20 CDT