Re: core dump in oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <Niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:30:08 +0100

Swapnil wrote:
> thanks sir ,
> thanks a ton for such a prompt reply.

> b) use your support contract to discuss this with Oracle Support
> We do have support contract
> what i wonder is that is it an oracle problem which needs to be
> patched or its just another
> set up issue.
> i have seen couple of post on net talking about insufficient swap
> space but that doesnt make a sense to me

Support is the way to go. Core dumps happen in the following circumstances.

something unexpected and bad has happened - I'll dump all the information I can to disk so a support analyst can work with it.

That is one of the reasons you pay Oracle such a lot for support, so they can work directly on issues like this. The net isn't a substitute for support in this sort of case, and it would be foolish of anyone here to offer a solution with such little information to go on. Metalink is somewhat clunky - but it offers a hell of a lot more than just patches.

If, incidentally, the core dump is a 7445 then Metalink has a page which will analyze the dump before you get to talk to a support analyst.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA