Re: Question: Rman duplication - requries _all_ backup sets?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:01:20 +0200

On 11 Oct 2005 11:53:35 -0700, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey, all.
>
>I'm working through db duplication, and have been able to make it work
>on the same local server.
>
>I'm setting it up to duplicate to a remote server, using a different
>directory structure. I have my script set with the rename statements,
>and everything seems fine syntax-wise - but I kind of expected it to
>only use the most recent backup set when it did the dupe.
>
>I run the script, and it fails, saying it cannot locate 'filename',
>where 'filename' refers to a previous backup set file of the target db.
>
>I'm not sure if this concerns a parameter in my dupe, such as an
>'until' clause, or if RMAN reqires that _all_ backup sets which exist
>on the target server also exist on the server housing the auxiliary.
>That would be a pain, if I'd done a month of backups and only want to
>dupe the most recent; I'd have to copy all sets over to the
>'destination' server.
>
>Can someone comment on this?
>
>Thanks!!
>
>BD

Oracle requires access across the network to the original data. On Windows you don't have that by default, as you are running as SYSTEM user. I once read an article on Metaclunk how to tweak the registry to avoid this issue (and introducing security risks). Unfortunately, I needed that article recently, and I can't find it again.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA