Re: OracleService does not start. Please help

From: RC <roynospam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:35:04 +0200

On 22 Sep 2005 09:01:41 -0700, fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

>Comments embedded.
>RC wrote:
>> Yeah, I paid al lot for that version. Ok, a few years ago, but still.
>> If it works, it works fine.
>
>On an operating system which Oracle certified for that release. XP Pro
>is NOT certified to run any edition of the 8.1.5 RDBMS. In fact, 8i in
>its entirety, save the client, was not certified for XP.
>
>> It worked fine before. There must be some reason it doesn't start.
>>

>It wasn't compiled to run on XP. Period. You MIGHT have some luck
>changing the compatibility mode of the executable to Windows 2000, but
>I doubt it. And, again, you're on your own with this.
Thanks David. I changed the compatibility mode to Windows 2000, rebooted the PC, started the service via Computer Management and now the service is starting forever. Then I shutdown oracle.exe via the taskmanager, and start it again via the Computer Management again and now it is actually is started for real. It does not start Automatically, but it does start manually.

So it is proven that it does work (ok, it doesn't start the way it should) on an Windows XP installation with compatibility mode to Win 2000.

Thanks a lot!