Re: OracleService does not start. Please help

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:15:47 +0200

RC wrote:
> Yeah, I paid al lot for that version. Ok, a few years ago, but still.
> If it works, it works fine.
> It worked fine before. There must be some reason it doesn't start.
>
> On 22 Sep 2005 08:13:54 -0700, "gazzag" <gareth_at_jamms.org> wrote:
>

>>I think Sybrand is telling you to upgrade to a supported version.  9i
>>upwards.

It would be really nice if you didn't top post.

If you wonder, why it doesn't start, then why don't you take a look into the alert log. In a typical installation this can be found in

c:\oracle\admin\<put your db's servicename here>\bdump

You might also want to look into oradim which can be used to start, stop, delete and install the service needed for the oracle instance.

Maybe deleting and installing the service does help, maybe just trying to start gives you an idea of what goes wrong - but since 8.1.5 is really really old (and besides that, it was the first version of 8i. Oracle usually isn't that good at first versions to put it nicely), I wouldn't put too high expectations on it.

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Sep 22 2005 - 11:15:47 CDT