Re: OracleService does not start. Please help

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 22 Sep 2005 09:01:41 -0700

Comments embedded.
RC wrote:
> Yeah, I paid al lot for that version. Ok, a few years ago, but still.
> If it works, it works fine.

On an operating system which Oracle certified for that release. XP Pro is NOT certified to run any edition of the 8.1.5 RDBMS. In fact, 8i in its entirety, save the client, was not certified for XP.

> It worked fine before. There must be some reason it doesn't start.

It wasn't compiled to run on XP. Period. You MIGHT have some luck changing the compatibility mode of the executable to Windows 2000, but I doubt it. And, again, you're on your own with this.

> On 22 Sep 2005 08:13:54 -0700, "gazzag" <gareth_at_jamms.org> wrote:
>
> >I think Sybrand is telling you to upgrade to a supported version. 9i
> >upwards.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Sep 22 2005 - 11:01:41 CDT