Re: easiest way to copy one DB to another?

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:10:41 +0200

"barneytoe" <barneytoe_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127254994.480038.216470_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I have two ora 9.2 DBs, and simply want to copy one to another. The 2nd
> DB doesn't necessarily have all the same views and such, but I'd like
> to just force it to be an exact copy, if possible.
>
> I do have SYS login capabiltieis on target DB.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> I read about sqlplus copy capabilities, but not sure that'll create
> views and users and such.
>
> thanks.
>
> chris

You can use transportable tablespaces to copy your tablespace metadata + datafiles to the other server. This is very fast but during the operation the tablespaces of the source db need to be put in read-only mode.

Another option : use a tape backup to restore the datafiles of the source db on the target server - this way you don't have to touch the source db. Please make sure you're not restoring to the original server though ;-)

HTH
Matthias Hoys Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 15:10:41 CDT