Re: Very perplexing select Problem

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 18 Sep 2005 21:28:14 -0700

BN wrote:
> Is this SQL statement portable? I am sorry but I should have mentioned
> that. Powers to be require that the SQL is portable to other RDBMS.

Oh bugger. That means the PTB (powers that be) have just thrown away any use of PL/SQL or any other basic features of Oracle.

> Oracle is great and is our primary choice. But if the customer wants to

Doesn't look like it. The way the PTB want to use it, they might as well be using a flat file...

> one then you have to allow for that. I think even SAP allows you the
> flexibility to use many databases.

"SAP" and "flexibility" should never be used in the same sentence...

> Can this be done anyother way?

Yes. Encapsulation. Use vanilla SQL for the compatible stuff, use encapsulation for what isn't. Not a new concept either: it's been around since, let me see, early 80s? BTW, it's also what SAP does... Received on Sun Sep 18 2005 - 23:28:14 CDT