Re: Very perplexing select Problem

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2005 18:13:48 GMT

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> BN wrote:
> > Is this SQL statement portable? I am sorry but I should have mentioned
> > that. Powers to be require that the SQL is portable to other RDBMS.
>
> Oh bugger. That means the PTB (powers that be) have just thrown away
> any use of PL/SQL or any other basic features of Oracle.
>
> > Oracle is great and is our primary choice. But if the customer wants to
>
> Doesn't look like it. The way the PTB want to use it, they might
> as well be using a flat file...

This is one of the favorite refrains of the Oracle junkies, and of course is patently untrue.

There are many reasons to use Oracle-specific features. But even if you foolishly or wisely decide not to use them, what is left is still far superior to a flat file. "...might as well be using MySQL" maybe I could agree with, but definitely not a flat file.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB