Re: Question about CTX and a virus on our server

From: news.dial.pipex.net <Niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:49:42 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:

> L C wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Not an Oracle person so I apologize if this is the wrong group or my
>> question doesn't make sense, but we have an Oracle server that got a
>> couple
>> of viruses on it - Backdoor Trojan, IRC. This caused our CTX not to
>> start.
>> We cleaned the viruses and it still will not start.
>>
>> We start CTX by using the following batch file:
>>
>> cd C:\Oracle\Ora92\bin
>> ctxsrv.exe -user ctxsys/ctxsys_at_Database1
>>
>> We get a quick message that flashes something about authentication and
>> listener
>>
>> We have Oracle 9i on a 2003 Advanced server
>>
>> Any thoughts as to what I could try.
>>
>> Thanks Larry C
>

> Many. And the first is to get Windows off of any Oracle server.
> For that matter to get it off any server, Oracle or otherwise,
> used for a critical business process. All the expensive firewalls
> and virus checkers in the world have not even protected Microsoft
> itself. How do you expect to do better than they have?

a rather large statement. Certainly if my business were inhibited to only make billions of dollars profit per annum by running windows I'd be heartbroken. Of course SUN and Novell that don't run windows are doing so much better.

Now you might, admittedly, think this off topic. You are probably correct, but no more so than an off-hand dismissal of an organisations OS platform based on a single usenet message. Received on Thu Sep 15 2005 - 13:49:42 CDT