Re: How to find Column name - ORA-01438: value larger than specified precision allows

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:02:45 +0200

goyald_at_gmail.com schrieb:
> Thanks for the reply. I should have explained my question further.
>
> Error message is
> *More text here * exception occurred in
> ORA9IDynamicSql::openCursor(StmtExecute)
> ORA-01438: value larger than specified precision allows for this
> column
>
> As you will notice, this is a dynamic SQL that gets built somewhere in
> program, (from input XML sent by external system), program than tries
> to insert/update database. It does not happen often but only sometimes
> - when sender system sends data with more precision to our system.
>
> If I can get capture offending SQL than I can try comparing data
> fields. I am looking for some suggestions to find this column from
> database logs/trace files etc.
> thanks

You may be interesting in tracing the session with event 10046 at level 4 or 12. In that case you will find in trace file the error 01438 as well as SQL and inserted values. You can enable tracing for certain user   via logon trigger ( http://www.evdbt.com/trclvl12.ddl ).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Thu Sep 15 2005 - 14:02:45 CDT