Re: Career Advise - Database Management

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:30:02 -0400

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1126755534.274708_at_yasure...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>
>> corporate instructor lead training goes for from $420 up to $550 or more
>> per
>> seat per day these days -- so at the low-end, $6k would covers about 14
>> days
>> at 'standard' rates -- some 'boot camp' courses are listed for $9,495 for
>> 14
>> days, including meals and accomodations
>
> On the basis that no one is going to apply for a Visa and move to the
> US because I post this I will speak from experience.
>
> University of Washington Oracle program: 9 months: Less than $2,000.
>
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group: all day hands-on classes with each
> student getting their own server: ~$450/day.
>
> $6,000 for an OCP course is outrageous.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

so PSOUG's class verifies the going daily rate... but presumably the content and quality is at the high end of the spectrum

how many classroom hours for the UW program? likely the per hour cost will be less than ILT, but for a true comparison of options, you've got to compare course content.

would 4.44444 PSOUG classes provide the same benefit as the UW program? more? good. less? then $450 may be outrageous as well.

how many days of (quality) 'corporate' ILT training do you think would be needed to cover the content that the UW program covers?

If the $6k program covers the same material, with the same educational benefit, as the UW program, then the $4k premium for expediency is pretty steep. If it covers less, that's even worse. But if it covers more, then the ROI comparison changes, no?

++ mcs Received on Thu Sep 15 2005 - 08:30:02 CDT